Support available if you have experienced a Hate Crime

Welfare Advisers

You can talk to one of the University Welfare Advisers to find out more about the support available both within and outside of the University. Appointments can be booked at the student information desk in Holgate or through the Student Wellbeing Service or emailing 01904 876477. If you report with contact details through the report and support site, a Welfare Adviser will contact you to offer you an appointment.

Wellbeing Support

You can get emotional and psychological support from the University Wellbeing Team who are in the Holgate Student Centre and operate a service Monday-Friday within usual office hours. Appointments can be booked at the student information desk or by contacting 01904 876477.

Student Union Support


You can also talk to any of your presidents in the Students Union. You can contact the Vice President of Welfare and Diversity at the Student Union: or call in to the Student Union building.

Harassment Advisers

Harassment Advisers: Harassment Advisers are there to offer some support, discuss your options and navigate you through the university’s policies.

Police Support

Police Community Support Officer (PCSO); whom at present is Claire Viney (collar number 3642). You can contact her through the police non-emergency number Tel: 101 If you are in immediate danger, ring the police on 999.

International Student Support

You can contact international student support by emailing

 Further Support

  • Supporting Victims; for advice and support if you think you are a victim of hate crime Tel: 01609 643100
  • Stop Hate UK For anonymous independent support 08001381625
  • Citizens Advice provides some useful information on the different types of harassment and hate crime people may experience including disability hate crime, racist and religious hate crime, sexual harassment, and sexual orientation and transgender identity hate crime.
  • True Vision offers guidance on reporting hate crime and hate incidents. If you do not wish to talk to anyone in person about the incident or wish to remain anonymous, there is an online form for reporting hate crime; you can report non-crime hate incidents to the police to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness.
  • TELL MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents.
  • Helplines: it can be helpful to speak to someone on an anonymous basis and the following helplines allow you to do this: Samaritans Tel: 116 123 or Nightline Tel: 01904 323735 8.00pm – 8.00am during York University’s term time.

There are two ways you can report something