Support if you have/are experiencing Domestic Abuse

Welfare Advisers

·         You can talk to one of the University Welfare Advisers to find out more about the support available both within and outside of the University. Appointments can be booked at the student information desk in Holgate or through the Student Wellbeing Service or emailing 01904 876477. If you report with contact details through the report and support site, a Welfare Adviser will contact you to offer you an appointment.

Wellbeing Support

·        You can get emotional and psychological support from the Wellbeing Team who are in the Holgate Student Centre and operate a service Monday-Friday within usual office hours. Appointments can be booked at the student information desk or by contacting 01904 876477.

YSJU Students Union


You can also talk to any of your presidents in the Students Union. You can contact the Vice President of Welfare and Diversity at the Student Union: or call in to the Student Union building.


·         Independent Domestic Abuse Service (IDAS) are a specialist charity based in York who supports anyone who is a victim or survivor of domestic abuse or sexual violence. When you contact IDAS they will talk to you about your situation and agree what support you need. This can include anything from helping you through the criminal justice system, giving you information on benefits and housing, providing emotional support or referring you for counselling. IDAS offer a helpline and a web chat service.

Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS)

Phone: 03000 110 110



·         Survive is a charity based in York who provides support to survivors of child sexual abuse, rape or sexual assault. Survive is managed by a team of staff and volunteers who are trained in supporting people with experiences surrounding rape and sexual abuse. Survive offer a counselling service, one to one support sessions, support groups and a confidential helpline.

      Survive  01904 638813

      Helpline for support and information 01904 642830 –open Wednesday 1pm-3:30pm


Bridge House SARC

·        The Bridge House Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) provides a range of services, including forensic medical examination, to anyone in North Yorkshire aged 16 and over who has been raped or sexually assaulted. Bridge House is located in Bishopthorpe and the services are available whether or not the assault has been reported to the police


You can telephone to make an appointment on 0330 2230099 (24 hour helpline). 

·       The Samaritans are also available 24hrs a day to support people through any trauma including sexual assault. They can be contacted on 116 123  (24 hour helpline)

·         Rape Crisis England and Wales – national charity and umbrella body for network of independent member Rape Crisis organisations. They also have a national Rape Crisis Helpline which can be contacted on 0808 802 9999 between 12 noon – 2.30pm and between 7 – 9.30pm any day of the year.

·        Survivors UK – national charity supporting men who have experienced childhood sexual abuse or adult sexual assault/rape, as well as their partners and carers.   02035983898 Email:

·         The Survivors Trust (TST) - national umbrella agency for specialist rape, sexual violence and childhood sexual abuse support organisations throughout the UK and Ireland.  0808 801 0818

·         Refuge UK including National 24hr Domestic Violence Helpline – national charity providing a range of services for women and children affected by domestic violence. Services include a national Freephone 24 hour helpline: 0808 2000 247

·         Men’s Advice Line – advice and support for heterosexual, gay, bisexual and trans men experiencing domestic violence and abuse. Freephone: 0808 801 0327 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm)

·         National LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline – advice and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people. Freephone: 0800 999 5428 (opening times on website)

·         National Stalking Helpline – the helpline can be contacted on 0808 802 0300 from 9.30am to 4pm on weekdays (except Wed, 1pm to 4pm)

·         Paladin, National Stalking Advocacy Service – national service assisting victims of stalking in England and Wales. Services include national helpline: 020 3866 4107

·         Karma Nirvana – national charity supporting victims of forced marriage and ‘honour’ based violence. Services include a national Freephone helpline (open 9am - 9pm weekdays & 10am - 4pm weekends): 0800 5999 247

·         Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) - joint Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Home Office. Services include a public helpline to provide advice and support to victims of forced marriage. Telephone: 020 7008 0151 From overseas: +44 (0)20 7008 0151 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm), Out of hours: 020 7008 1500 - ask for the Global Response Centre

·         Respect Phoneline - information and confidential advice line for anyone who is concerned about their violence or abuse towards a partner or ex-partner: 0808 802 4040 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm 




There are two ways you can report something