I think I have experienced a hate crime

A hate incident is an act which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or transgender status.  It does not matter whether the victim actually belongs to the group at which the hostility is targeted. We use the term ‘hate crime’ regardless of whether an incident constitutes an offence.”

Hate crimes hurt individuals and communities, and reporting it allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening. 

Nobody should have to live with the fear and anxiety that hate crime can cause.


  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999.
  • Finding a safe space.  If possible, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are on campus you can call security 07885201182 / 01904 876444  The Security Team can provide assistance and are able to be contacted 24 hours a day.
  • What is a hate crime? It might be useful to think about what hate crime is and how some of the behaviours are described.


  • Talk To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.
  • You can talk to one of the University Welfare Advisers to find out what your reporting options are and more about the support available both within and outside of the University.  Appointments can be booked at the student information desk in Holgate or through the Student Wellbeing Service by contacting wellbeing@yorksj.ac.uk 01904 876477
  • If you are being bullied or harassed by another York St John student, you can contact one of our Harassment Advisers HA@yorksj.ac.uk . Our Harassment Advisers are staff from across the University who have received specialist training to support students in this role.
  • You can also talk to any of your presidents in the Students Union. You can contact the Vice President of Welfare and Diversity at the Student Union by emailing VPWD@yorksj.ac.uk or call in to the Student Union building.


  • Report and Support.  You can Report a hate crime or hate incident anonymously or you can report with your details by clicking on ‘report with contact details’ which will put you in touch with a University Welfare Adviser.
  • To the Police. If you find yourself in an emergency situation – always dial 999.In an non-emergency you can dial 101 or contact or visit your local police station. Even if you wish to remain anonymous the information you provide may be vital in helping the police bring to justice the people who commit these crimes
  • True Vision have an online hate crime reporting form https://www.met.police.uk/true-vision-report-hate-crime/

Get Support

Find out what Support is available if you have experienced a hate crime.



There are two ways you can tell us what happened