I think someone I know has experienced a hate crime

If you think someone you know has experienced a hate crime there are lots of ways in which you can help them.

Understanding the behaviours associated with hate crimes is a good place to start. Most people will usually describe what has or is happening to them and how it's making them feel.

A hate crime is any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's race or perceived race; religion or perceived religion; sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation; disability or perceived disability and any crime motivated by hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.

Hate crimes hurt individuals and communities, and reporting it allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening. 

Nobody should have to live with the fear and anxiety that hate crime can cause.


  • Are they in immediate danger? If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999.
  • Find a safe space.  If this has just happened,  try and find somewhere they feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are on campus you can call security 07885201182 / 01904 876444  The Security Team can provide assistance and are able to be contacted 24 hours a day.
  • What is a hate crime? It might be useful to think about what hate crime is and how some of the behaviours are described.


  • Listen. Just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help.
  • These six active listening skills may help you to support them
  • Published on Oct 4, 2015 Based on the Samaritans guidelines for active listening

  • Give Options. When they have finished talking, ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options.
  • You can talk to one of the University Welfare Advisers to find out what the reporting options are and more about the support available both within and outside of the University.  Appointments can be booked at the student information desk in Holgate or through the Student Wellbeing Service by contacting wellbeing@yorksj.ac.uk 01904 876477
  • If the person thinks they are being bullied or harassed they can contact one of our Harassment Advisers HA@yorksj.ac.uk . Our Harassment Advisers are staff from across the University who have received specialist training to support students in this role.
  • You can also talk to any of your presidents in the Students Union. You can contact the Vice President of Welfare and Diversity at the Student Union by emailing VPWD@yorksj.ac.uk or call in to the Student Union building.



  • Report and Support.  You can report a hate crime or hate incident anonymously or you can report with your details by clicking on ‘report with contact details’ which will put you in touch with a University Welfare Adviser.
  • To the Police. If you find yourself in an emergency situation – always dial 999.In an non-emergency you can dial 101 or contact or visit your local police station. Even if you wish to remain anonymous the information you provide may be vital in helping the police bring to justice the people who commit these crimes
  • True Vision have an online hate crime reporting form 

Get Support

Find out what support is available if someone has experienced a hate crime.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened