Support Available if you have been sexually assaulted

Welfare Advisers

·       You can talk to one of the University Welfare Advisers to find out more about the support available both within and outside of the University. Appointments can be booked at the student information desk in Holgate or through the Student Wellbeing Service or emailing 01904 876477. If you report with contact details through the report and support site, a Welfare Adviser will contact you to offer you an appointment.

Wellbeing Support

·       You can get emotional and psychological support from the University Wellbeing Team who are in the Holgate Student Centre and operate a service Monday-Friday within usual office hours. Appointments can be booked at the student information desk or by contacting 01904 876477.

YSJU Students Union


You can also talk to any of your presidents in the Students Union. You can contact the Vice President of Welfare and Diversity at the Student Union: or call in to the Student Union building. 


Independent Domestic Abuse Service (IDAS) are a specialist charity based in York who supports anyone who is a victim or survivor of domestic abuse or sexual violence. When you contact IDAS they will talk to you about your situation and agree what support you need. This can include anything from helping you through the criminal justice system, giving you information on benefits and housing, providing emotional support or referring you for counselling. IDAS offer a helpline and a web chat service.

Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS)

      Phone: 03000 110 110



·         Survive is a charity based in York who provides support to survivors of child sexual abuse, rape or sexual assault. Survive is managed by a team of staff and volunteers who are trained in supporting people with experiences surrounding rape and sexual abuse. Survive offer a counselling service, one to one support sessions, support groups and a confidential helpline.

       Survive  01904 638813

       Helpline for support and information 01904 642830 –open Wednesday 1pm-3:30pm


Bridge House SARC

·         The Bridge House Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) provides a range of services, including forensic medical examination, to anyone in North Yorkshire aged 16 and over who has been raped or sexually assaulted. Bridge House is located in Bishopthorpe and the services are available whether or not the assault has been reported to the police Email:

       You can telephone to make an appointment on 0330 2230099 (24 hour helpline).

·        The Samaritans are also available 24hrs a day to support people through any trauma including sexual assault. They can be contacted on 116 123  (24 hour helpline) 

·       Rape Crisis England and Wales – national charity and umbrella body for network of independent member Rape Crisis organisations. They also have a national Rape Crisis Helpline which can be contacted on 0808 802 9999 between 12 noon – 2.30pm and between 7 – 9.30pm any day of the year.

·       Survivors UK – national charity supporting men who have experienced childhood sexual abuse or adult sexual assault/rape, as well as their partners and carers.   02035983898 Email:

·       The Survivors Trust (TST) - national umbrella agency for specialist rape, sexual violence and childhood sexual abuse support organisations throughout the UK and Ireland.  0808 801 0818







There are two ways you can report something