What is stalking?

Stalking is another form of harassment and is defined as persistent and unwanted attention that makes you feel pestered and harassed.  It includes behaviour that happens two or more times, directed at or towards you by another person, which causes you to feel alarmed or distressed or to fear that violence might be used against you.

Stalking can be particularly hard to cope with because it can go on for a long period of time, making you feel constantly anxious and afraid.  Sometimes the problem can build up slowly and it can take a while for you to realise that you are caught up in an ongoing campaign of abuse. 


·        Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999.

·        Finding a safe space.  If possible, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are on campus you can call security 07885201182 / 01904 876444  The Security Team can provide assistance and are able to be contacted 24 hours a day.



·        To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.


·        You can talk to one of the University Welfare Advisers to find out what your reporting options are and more about the support available both within and outside of the University.  Appointments can be booked at the student information desk in Holgate or through the Student Wellbeing Service by contacting wellbeing@yorksj.ac.uk 01904 876477

·        You can also talk to any of your presidents in the Students Union. You can contact the Vice President of Welfare and Diversity at the Student Union by emailing VPWD@yorksj.ac.uk or call in to the Student Union building.


Report and Support.  You can report any incident of stalking anonymously or you can report with your details by clicking on ‘report with contact details’ which will put you in touch with a University Welfare Adviser.


Get Support

Paladin, the National Stalking Advocacy Service call 0203 866 4104 or email info@paladinservice.co.uk

National Stalking Helpline call 0808 802 0300


There are two ways you can tell us what happened