I think someone I know is/has been sexually harassed

If you think someone you know has been sexually harassed there are lots of ways in which you can help them.

Understanding the behaviours associated with sexual harassment is a good place to start. Most people will be able to describe what has or is happening to them and how it's making them feel.

What is Sexual Harassment?

Sexual harassment is not okay and has no place in the University community.

Sexual harassment is unwanted and unwelcome words, conduct, or behaviour of a sexual nature that has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, embarrassing, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for the recipient.


·        Is the person in immediate danger? If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999. 

·       Finding a safe space.  If possible, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are on campus you can call security 07885201182 / 01904 876444 . The Security Team can provide assistance and are able to be contacted 24 hours a day.

·        If the person is on public transport, unwanted sexual behaviour unwanted sexual behaviour can be reported to the British Transport Police by texting 61016 or call 0800 40 50 40. In an emergency, dial 999.


·        Listen. Just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help you support them (Published on Oct 4, 2015 Based on the Samaritans guidelines for active listening).



·        Give options.  When they have finished talking ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options and next steps.

·        You can talk to one of the University Welfare Advisers to find out about reporting options are and more about the support available both within and outside of the University.  Student appointments can be booked at the student information desk in Holgate or through the Student Wellbeing Service by contacting wellbeing@yorksj.ac.uk 01904 876477


Report and Support.  You can Report any incident of Sexual Harassment on behalf of someone else, anonymously or you can report with your details by clicking on ‘report with contact details’ which will put you in touch with a University Welfare Adviser.

Get Support

Find out what support is available if someone has been sexually harassed.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened